A selection of books I have read are mentioned on my books page, many more poetry books are on my shelves and not listed.
There are numerous places, both in print and online, where wise words on writing are available including: Top 10 tips for being a successful poet by Andrew Motion and The Invisible College by Dr Cathy Fitzgerald on BBC Radio 4.
Poethead is an excellent archive of poets, editors and translators - the creation of Christine Murray.
One of the best places in Ireland (in the world?) to hear the words and voices of other poets is at Ó Bhéal in Cork.
Interactions with other poets/festivals/workshops/readings:
- From the Witness Box, Courthouse, Kanturk Arts Festival, reading with 6 others prior to a reading by Bernard O’Donoghue.
- WomenXBorders at the Irish Writers’ Centre, Dublin.
- San Francisco Cork Exchange – Ó Bhéal at Village Hall, Cork.
- I was guest poet at the pSoken Wrod in Clonakilty on 5th December. It was a lovely event with a most supportive and appreciative audience.
- I read a selection of poems which were interspersed with tunes by jazz trio, Filology on Culture Night at Cork County Hall.
- I participated in an online poetry workshop with Eileen Healy and a one-day writing workshop with Denyse Woods.
- I attended a poetry workshop with Patrick Cotter at the Munster Literature Centre during July/Aug.
- I attended The Irish Writers Centre event 'Mindshift: The Connected Writer' at Listowel.
- Along with 7 other poets from Poets Abroad and special guest Kevin Higgins I read at the Model, Sligo on 10th June.
- I attended a poetry workshop with Peter Sirr at the Listowel Writers Festival and read at a number of open mic events.
- I recorded a selection of my poems for the UCD Poetry Archive which will be available later in 2017.
- I read at the Irish Writers Centre, Dublin 'Takin the Mic' event at the end of April.
- I read for a group of US students along with other poets from Ó Bhéal invited by Paul Casey.
- I was invited by Paul Casey to read as part of a group of invited Ó Bhéal poets at the Shannonside Winter Music Festival in Bunratty.
- I was delighted to have been invited to read as part of the ÓBhéal Closed Mic at the Cork Winter Warmer Poetry Festival held at the Kino in Cork city.
- Rafiq Kathwari was the guest poet at Ó Bhéal on 3rd Oct. I very much connected with his work. He makes his poetry come alive in his readings.
- September - Boyne Berries #20
- I attended the launch of Boyne Berries and read my poem 'Rosa' which is published in volume #20.
- August - Stanzas Ekphrastic Chapbook
- I read two of my poems at the launch of the Stanzas Chapbook.
- July - Books Upstairs
- I organised a poetry reading on 9th July in Dublin. Special guest Alvy Carragher, followed by readings from myself and six other poets - Audrey Molloy, Bobbie Sparrow, Dick Edelstein, Frances Browner, Iseult Healy, Leslie Thomas.
- May - Ó Bhéal Cork's Weekly Poetry Event
- 16th May - poetry and prose from Northern Ireland
- On 9th May Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill was the guest poet
- I attended the Monday 2nd May event a wonderful performance by Alvy Carragher.
- I read a poem during the Open Mic sessions.
- April - Poetry Day - Cork County Library & Arts Service
- I attended and read one of my poems at the County Hall Poetry Day reading event.
- April 2016 - At Cúirt Festival of Literature I attended:
- a reading by the amazing poet Natasha Trethewey and other readings by Robert Pinsky, Hollie McNish
- the Launch of an Anthology Editor Louis de Paor - Leabhar na hAthghabhála (Poems of Repossession) with readings by Louis de Paor, Ailbhe Ní Ghearbhuigh, Biddy Jenkinson and Liam Ó Muirthile.
- April 2016 - ROPES2016
- A poem of mine was published in ROPES2016 launched at the Cúirt Festival of Literature, Galway in April 2016.
- March 2016 - Boyne Berries, Trim, Co. Meath
- March 2016 - Mountains to Sea Book Festival, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin.
- I participated in a poetry masterclass with A.E. Stallings
- March 2016 - Doolin Writers' Weekend:
- I participated in a poetry workshop facilitated by Stephen Murray
- I read one of my poem's during the Open Mic facilitated by Dave Lordan and Neil McCarthy
- Feb 2016 -
- I attended, as an audience member, a number of readings during the Cork International Poetry Festival.
- I read at the Open Mic at ÓBhéal, Cork run by Paul Casey
- Oct-Dec 2015 I participated in a 10 week online poetry workshop with Kevin Higgins, OvertheEdge
- Nov 2015 - My poem 'Hanging #2' was selected as Poem of the Week and published online by Headstuff.org selected by Alvy Carragher
- In June 2015 I attended a one day workshop with Jessica Traynor in Dublin
- Poetry Day 2015 - I did my first public reading during Poetry Day at the Cork County Library during an open-mic session facilitated by Patrick Cotter.